I would mention the following strategies for answering test toefl listening
- Do not be fooled match between the sound that you hear (audio) with which you read (booklet). Sometimes the right answer is precisely that sounds different (but the same meaning).
- Do not listen before reading. Read the first and CRUSH anticipatory response. Further listening to confirm answers. (Do not listen to the EMPTY HEAD!)
- Form (sound) which differ among the four answer choices, can usually be taken as a TEMPORARY ANSWER.
- The words in the question paper is usually used to mislead, as if the words were being tested, so you are stuck on matching sounds. Example, the word DOOR / DRAWER, the WRITE / RIGHT, said DID / WOULD / Should not
- Beware of the words ‘NEGATIVE’ as absent (not present) on the question paper, with the word DID NOT COME (not present) of audio devices, as well as the sentence ACTIVE – PASSIVE.
- In section B (Dialog TWO PEOPLE) are overlaid narrator, focus on BOTH PEOPLE. The first person to give feedback only, third person (narrator) talks mean just ask.
- In section C (Conversation, TWO or MORE), make anticipate questions with 5W and 1H (WHAT, WHEN, WHY, WHO, WHERE, and HOW).
- Exploration of key words from each alternative answers. Example, when writing AT A RESTAURANT, maybe you’ll hear the word MENU, ORDER, FOOD, BEVERAGE, SPOON, WAITER, and so on.
And the several claims of those
1. Answering Questions Listening Comprehension Strategies
a. In the listening section in the TOEFL test, there are many things that can affect achievement scores include:
· Quality Tool Players
Kualias crisp and clear sound of the instrument cassette or CD player will be a positive influence on the concentration of the test participants.
· Speech of Delivery (rate of speech rate)
Rate of speed sentences that were raised by the speaker must be able to be captured well by the audience in order to understand the purpose of the conversation.
· Verbs Idiomatic Expression and Multipart
Without knowing idiomatic Expression and Multipart Verbs, it is difficult for test takers to answer the listening test with regard to both of these.
b. Trial Hearing (Listening Test) in TOEFL
· Short Conversations (Short Dialogues)
In the face of a short conversation test, the easiest trick is to look for similarities or synonym of the core conversation itself. The types are: restate (restatement), negative and positive response statement or otherwise, suggestions (suggestion), passive sentences (passives), who and where (who and where), and approval (agreement).
· Dialog Length (Long Dialogues)
In a long dialogue, we are not only required to understand the main idea of the conversation, but also must be able to recall the details of things that are in the conversation. The main requirement to make it easier to answer questions of this type is the ability to hear (listening skills) and advanced levels given the level of capability that is really good.
· Discussion Pannjang (Long Talks)
Process to answer this question is no different from the process of answering a long dialogue. In addition to the ability level of advance, notice that the questions in the order issued definitive information that we dngarkan.
2. Answering Strategy Problem Structure and Written Expression
a. Here is the correct way to analyze sentences tested in the TOEFL first type (sentence completion).
· Analyze what elements are left in the sentence. If the only remaining subject and an object that is missing its verbs.
· We should be able to sort out the answer that is certain to narrow down our choices to the correct answer.
· We are able to determine rapidly between active and passive voice sentences. Try to translate it in Indonesian so it is sure to specify the type of active and passive sentences in choosing the correct answer.
· Understanding of tenses is absolutely necessary for the understanding, we can determine not only the words and auxiliary verbs are appropriate based on its function, but also define the auxiliary and verb that corresponds to the subject of the sentence.
b. Here is the correct way to analyze sentences tested in the TOEFL second type (identification error).
The differences in the form of words, our task is to analyze the word that is not the same as the word that has the same function in a sentence.
· Incompatibility on pronouns, we must be able to be smart in the alignment Gant said of the subject or object of the sentence.
· Problems verb, the TOEFL exam, lack of harmony verb often lies in the passive voice, modal auxiliaries, and present / past perfect.
· Stacking unnecessary words in a sentence. We must be able to recognize which function is the same word simultaneously.
· To use Infinitive and Gerund (verb-ing). To understand these words better way palig is memorized.
· The word circuit, the most effective way is to know the word in english and wary relationship that can characterize the fault on one of the existing circuit.
c. The following types of errors that are often tested in the TOEFL
· Errors on words and auxiliary verbs are used as adverbial at the beginning of the sentence. Some examples adverbial hardly, rarely, seldom, never, only, etc..
· Errors in subjunctive sentences, sentences are sentences nuanced subjunctive verb is in the simple form. Subjunctive verb belonging include: advise, ask, command, decree, demand, insist, move, order, prefer, propose, recommend, request, require, stipulate, suggest, urge, etc..
· Errors in the use of three pairs of verbs are almost similar.
· Error on conditional questions, usually occurs in cases of discrepancy tenses, errors in verb tenses use the same two in a pair of conditional sentences.
· Errors in comparisson questions, irrelevancies it appears on the auxiliary verb object comparison, the establishment of a comparative adjective, adjective use to explain the behavior of verbs.
3. Answering Questions Reading Comprehension Strategies
a. When faced with Reading test Comprehention there are aspects that determine, among other things:
· Treasury vocabulary that we have
· Background reading that we face
· Our ability to understand the reading quickly, at least by the time given.
b. To understand a sentence we should be able to do the following:
• Understand each pronoun (pronouns) that a text / discourse literature.
· Separating sentences based on subject, object, verb, and the adverb.
· Ability to understand existing terminlnologi on reading.
From the above strategies allows us to recognize the TOEFL. Do not forget to always learn the theories have to tigkat advance. And most importantly, keep it to a matter of practice – TOEFL, to obtain results in accordance with what we want.